Nationals coming from the European Union and Schengen Area benefit from the same visa exempt status . They are allowed to enter Italy with the valid passport or the Identity Card.


To non-EU citizens an entry visa is required, which can be applied at the Italian diplomatic and consular representation in the country of residence. For further information, please visit the website do you need a visa .

Extra EU citizens holding a Schengen permit of stay may travel in Schengen area up to 90 days. If the travel or the stay in Schengen area is more than 90 days, the visa is necessary.

Researchers are allowed to enter Italyfrom Non-EU countries with a visa for scientific research purposes. They can benefit from the scientific visa package , that helps researchers to obtain a permission to enter, and work in the European Union Member States for the purpose of carrying out scientific research.

The researcher should be selected by either private or public research institutions acknowledged in an official list set up by the Ministry for University and Research.
The researcher can obtain the Visa only within the framework of a hosting agreement with a research organisation which lays down the conditions whereby the researcher undertakes to accomplish the research project and the organisation undertakes to host the researcher for that purpose. The hosting Institution in Italy needs to apply for an "entry clearance" (Nulla Osta) necessary for the issue of the visa. For information about the Nulla Osta procedure, please contact